After You Arrive

Before You ArriveArriving in a new country is exciting, but there is also a lot to learn.  This section of the website highlights several things that you should do as soon as you arrive in Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as places where you can find help and information if you need it.

Apply for Your Social Insurance Number (SIN)

The Social Insurance Number is a very important piece of identification. You need it to be able to work in Canada or to access any government services and programs.  To get your SIN, you need to apply to Service Canada. Click here to apply or to find an office near you.  You can apply online, but you may prefer to apply in person so that you don't have to send valuable documents in the mail.

Click here for an online application form.

Apply for Your Medical Care Plan (MCP) Card

This card is important.  It enables you to access medical treatment from a hospital or doctor in Canada.  You can get more information and find an application form by clicking here. You will need to send photocopies of some of your identification along with your application.  Do not send your original documents in the mail.  You can also call the MCP office by telephone at 1-866-449-4459.

Click here for an online application form.

Apply for Your Driver's License

Information about getting a driver's license in Newfoundland and Labrador can be found here.

Get a Photo Identification Card

If you don't have a driver's license card from Newfoundland and Labrador, you need to get another piece of identification with a photo. Photo identification is sometimes required for travel, for purchase of alcohol or cigarettes, or in other situations where identification is required. You can do this at the same place that issues drivers licenses.

Click here for more information.